About Me

maker, creative, living lightly, local, craft, minimalism, and taking joy in the small things

Monday 28 July 2008

Katie does Ikebana (and so did I)


On Sunday I had my last ikebana class, which Katie was lucky enough to be here for. Obviously she was pretty much baffled by our teacher - but then Carla and I don't understand her all that often either! Kiyoko is so friendly and nice, but she speaks so fast, and uses language that I have no way of knowing - all about the flowers and plants.

Anyway, Carla and I both took it in turns to explain to Katie what she was meant to be doing, and it turned out pretty well.

Anyway, the upshot of Katie doing ikebana is that she has arrived safely. I thought she was going to die yesterday, her first day, in the Japanese humidity, but today she is coping pretty well. She hired a bike so we can get around easily and the brakes are super squeaky, in true Japanese style. So far she has eaten a lot of free dinners! As I am leaving Hagi in a couple of days I had arranged a couple of dinners with teachers who I am going to miss, and because Katie was here she got to come! I suppose it's an easy way to try a lot of Japanese food all at once!

2 comments:

Xavier said...

Hi Katie!!!!

Unknown said...

Katie will end up rivalling me for photos of eating methinks.